The Earl of Plymouth’s Oakly Park Estate at Bromfield extends to some eight thousand acres situated just north of Ludlow. A royal forest in past times, Oakly Park was purchased by Clive of India in the second half of the 18th century and, although it is not certain that he ever lived there himself, the property has remained in the family through six generations since that time.
In 1950 Lord Plymouth started an in-hand farm on the Estate and built it up over the years to the six thousand acre mixed farming enterprise of today, producing milk, beef, lamb, pork, and a variety of arable crops. Along the way, he was able also to set up and run a successful sand and gravel pit.
Now that his successors in business, Viscount Windsor and the family Board, have started the Food Centre, the group of companies based on the Estate comprises:
Earl of Plymouth Estates (Holdings) Limited
Earl of Plymouth Estates Limited
Bromfield Sand & Gravel Co. Limited
Ludlow Food Centre Limited